TRUSTe Debuts “Truth in Privacy” Framework – Extending Its Mission to Encompass Emerging Digital Technologies
Launches TRUSTed Notices – Consumer-friendly, Short-Form Privacy Policies Santa Clara, CA – May 20, 2011
– Today, at the Privacy Identity Innovation
conference (pii2011), TRUSTe, the leading online privacy solutions provider, unveiled “Truth in Privacy” and TRUSTed Notices. Truth in Privacy extends TRUSTe’s mission to ensure consumers are offered increased transparency regarding privacy practices, accessible choices regarding the use of personal information, and ongoing accountability through TRUSTe privacy certification. As an embodiment of Truth in Privacy, TRUSTed Notices are short-form privacy notices focused on providing consumers accessible disclosures and choices. The new privacy notices will be rolled out to more than 2,000 of TRUSTe’s existing customers – reaching millions of online consumers – by the end of the year. For a visual preview of TRUSTe’s new TRUSTed Notices, please go to /images/short-notice.jpg
. Truth in Privacy
Truth in Privacy, as reflected in TRUSTe’s trustmark and TRUSTe services, means that when consumers see the TRUSTe brand, in any online situation – whether targeted advertising, mobile or social networking activities – they can be confident about the privacy practices of the organization, including:
- Accurate and comprehensive disclosures about the use of personal information, in accessible and understandable privacy statements and other notices;
- Choices and tools to proactively set boundaries regarding the use of personal information including the ability to set choice regarding online behavioral advertising, sensitive information, and for sharing with third-parties; and
- Ability to go to the company directly or to TRUSTe to resolve any privacy related concerns.
Truth in Privacy also enables businesses to ensure that they are collecting consumer information responsibly and in accordance with current governing laws and regulations.
“As existing online platforms continue to be transformed through online behavioral advertising, social networking and mobile web technologies, online privacy requirements are being radically altered,” said Chris Babel, CEO of TRUSTe. “Truth in Privacy expands our mission to ensure transparency, choice and accountability are provided by establishing policies that are more easily accessible and understood. By making it easier for consumers to understand privacy policies, businesses are more accountable to their privacy obligations and can more quickly implement customer choices.”
“As the volume and complexity of data moves to the cloud, responsible and secure use of customer data is paramount,” said Barb Lawler, Intuit’s chief privacy officer. “TRUSTe’s approach is in line with Intuit’s own data stewardship principles that guide how we think about and how we use customer data.”
“TRUSTed Notices are ‘actionable,’ which is key to showing users that they are in control of what happens to their data,” said Jules Polonetsky, co-chair of The Future of Privacy Forum. “By focusing on the most important options and immediate choices, TRUSTe has shown that it is possible to provide users timely privacy information no matter what device they are using.” TRUSTed Notices
TRUSTe developed TRUSTed Notices as part of its Consumer Privacy Platform in response to user dissatisfaction with privacy policies, the Federal Trade Commission’s call for increased transparency and accountability, and the ongoing introduction of new online technologies. The FTC’s Privacy Report
– issued last December – calls for simplified consumer privacy notices to explain policies regarding the sharing and use of personal information in ways that are easier for consumers to understand.
TRUSTe relied on feedback from extensive user testing and consumer surveys to develop TRUSTed Notices. In a recent TRUSTe survey on mobile privacy
TRUSTed Notices provide consumers with clear guidance and immediate context into all online decisions being made in emerging technology areas, such as mobile commerce; online behavioral advertising (OBA); and social networking. TRUSTed Notices includes the following features:
- Consumer-optimized privacy disclosure for websites featuring only the most relevant considerations and direct access to choices and tools;
- Clear and concise explanations regarding choice and preferences at the point of data collection for OBA and third-party data usage; and
- Layered, short-form privacy notices designed to maximize user-friendliness and accessibility, particularly on a smaller mobile form factor.
TRUSTe is the leading global Data Privacy Management (DPM) company and powers trust in the data economy by enabling businesses to safely collect and use customer data across web, mobile, cloud and advertising channels. Our cloud-based Data Privacy Management Platform delivers innovative technology products, including website monitoring and advertising compliance controls – along with privacy assessments and certifications. More than 5,000 companies worldwide, including Apple, Disney, eBay, Forbes, LinkedIn and Oracle rely on our DPM platform and globally recognized Certified Privacy Seal to protect/enhance their brand, drive user engagement and minimise compliance risk. For more information, please http://www.truste.com.