TRUSTe Names Online Trust Advisory Council
Leading trustmark taps consultative group to improve online privacy and trust
San Francisco, Calif. – March 10, 2009 - TRUSTe, the leading trustmark and recognized authority on privacy best practices on the Internet, today announced its Online Trust Advisory Council to help the company further advance privacy and trust online.
“TRUSTe will be consulting with the Online Trust Advisory Council, which will provide insight and guidance on a wide range of issues and opportunities, including TRUSTe’s leading TRUSTed Websites, new product development, technology deployment, policy initiatives and consumer needs for improved online trust.
The Council consists of respected privacy and trust advocates as well as privacy leaders of companies that display the TRUSTe seal. Members of the TRUSTe advisory council include:
- Sharon Anolik, Director of Corporate Compliance & Ethics and Chief Privacy Official, Blue Shield of California
- Fred Cate, Distinguished Professor of Law and Director at Center for Applied Cybersecurity Research, Indiana University
- Dean Forbes, Senior Director, Global Privacy, Schering-Plough
- Chris Hoofnagle, Director, Information Privacy Programs, Berkeley Center for Law & Technology
- Chris Kelly, Chief Privacy Officer & Head of Global Public Policy, Facebook
- Barbara Lawler, Chief Privacy Officer, CIPP, CHP Legal & Compliance, Intuit
- Diane McDade, Director, Policy and Trustworthy Computing, Microsoft
- George Pappachen, Chief Privacy Officer, Kantar Group/WPP
- Scott Shipman, Senior Counsel, eBay
- Orson Swindle, Senior Policy Advisor and Chair, Security Initiatives, Centre for Information Policy Leadership
- Anne Toth, Vice President, Policy, Yahoo!
- Paul Zaengle, Senior Director of e-commerce, Columbia Sportswear
- Anna Zornosa, Executive Vice President and General Manager, The Cobalt Group, Dealix Division
“At TRUSTe, we’ve seen the importance of online privacy increase significantly over the past decade, and now is a pivotal time for us to harness the knowledge of industry experts, as consumers are more aware and conscious of their online privacy than ever before,” said Fran Maier, CEO of TRUSTe. “We’re fortunate to be able to tap into the collective expertise of these e-commerce and privacy leaders and expect that the council will advance best practices in online trust and privacy – all to the benefit of businesses and consumers.”
TRUSTe is the leading global privacy management solutions provider and offers a broad suite of solutions that enable multinational companies to safely and efficiently handle the customer data powering their online businesses - including advertising, cloud services, mobile applications, and websites. Over 5,000 web properties from top companies like Apple, Disney, eBay, Forbes, HP, and Microsoft rely on TRUSTe to ensure compliance with evolving and complex international privacy requirements. TRUSTe's mission, based on a "Truth in Privacy" framework, is built on a solid foundation of transparency, choice and accountability regarding the collection and use of personal information. TRUSTe's privacy seal is recognized and trusted by millions of consumers worldwide as a sign of responsible privacy practices. For additional information on TRUSTe and its offerings, please visit http://www.truste.com.